"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Me and Drew

I was watching Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle the other night (I'm a huge Charlie's Angels fan from the days of Farrah Fawcett, Cherlyl Ladd, Jaclyn Smith, and Kate Jackson).

So I was watching the new movie (well, not new, it came out forever ago) thinking, poor Drew Barrymore. She's a cute girl. I really like Drew Barrymore and her movies. I've seen most of them. I own a few. But Lucy Liu and Cameron Diaz are super cute, and also both size negative 2s. Drew doesn't have a chance. And she's also a little more dressed than the others. But I was just feeling sorry for Drew, her not being as cute and all.

Then the next night I was bored folding laundry and pulled out my box of VHS tapes to see what movie I hadn't watched in awhile (we don't have cable). Not even thinking about it, I pulled out Never Been Kissed, also starring Drew Barrymore. If you've seen the movie, you know that until the very end, she is very unattractively portrayed as a grown-up nerd turned nerdy high school student all over again. I was feeling bad for Drew... again. It isn't until the end of the movie when she's standing on the pitchers mound waiting for Michael Vartan that she looks absolutely like the cutie she is.

So I'm feeling sorry for Drew for the 2nd night in a row when all of the sudden I remember that there was a day... just one day, my sophomore year of high school where I had two different, completely unconnected people tell me that I looked like Drew Barrymore. It was picture day, so I'll have to hunt down that picture and add it to my post. I don't think I look a thing like Drew, then or now. But all of a sudden I was the poor, not as cute Drew that I' d been feeling sorry for. What a sad sad realization.

2 comments:

Chris said...

The sad thing about Drew is that she married Tom Green. I mean out of all the men in American she picked Tom Green. He humped a dead moose...Wait a sec!! Maybe we should actually feel bad for Tom Green...he humped a dead moose and AND Drew Barrymore. I'm so confused now...

VAWritingQT said...

Except for the Tom Green aspect and the stint with drugs (though I did try to get high off my asthma inhailor a few times in high school), I think I've always identified with Drew. Do we not remember the famous "Love Lounge" quote, "I am Josie Gellar!"? I had ET as my imaginary friend in pre-school. It's sad, but not as sad as marrying Tom Green.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...