"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of. but do it in private
and wash your hands afterwards." --Robert Heinlein.

We've moved!

For the next two years (Summer 2014-Summer 2016) I'll be blogging our family's adventures in China at www.chinesemileposts.wordpress.com

Saturday, December 17, 2005

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of...

I don't remember a time when I didn't want to write. From the earliest questions of what did I want to be when I grew up, I always answered that I wanted to be an author. Of course at the time, I probably said, "Arthur." And at first, I thought I was going to write children's books, and illustrate them. That was up until my drawing ability stopped at the ability of a 7 year old and I decided I'd have to hire an illustrator. As I grew up, the books I wanted to write did too. Although for some reason, I've been stuck in the Young Adult section for a long time... maybe just as an excuse so I can read all the Young Adult books I want without being embarassed. I just say, "I'm a writer, just have to see what the competition is like." And I'd say it all macho and confident. But truthfully... I don't go around saying I'm a writer. At least not since I was about 14. Coming from California, where everyone you meet is a wannabe writer or actor, or filmmaker, you just don't go around advertising something that may never come true. I don't want to be a washed up writer to everyone before I've actually earned the title of writer. So for now... let's just say... I like to write, and I'm especially fond of ellipses.

5 comments:

Angela said...

Welcome to the world of bloggers Nancine! Fabulous first entry. Don't be ashamed of your love for young adult novels because I read them right after you. Lets just say sweet valley high...I know that we are best friends for real now because I also love ellipses. ilamy!

VAWritingQT said...

You will never be a writer until you call yourself a writer. I started calling myself a writer back in April. When people ask if I have anything published, I answer truthfully:"No, but I'm working on a novel and working with a published mentor." Do this: once a day say aloud, "I'm a writer." If you want, think of things that make you a writer: observing things, making lists, reading, etc. If you believe you are one, you will become one.

Anonymous said...

Good design!
[url=http://oaeiifje.com/oexz/rydl.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://sbxygnst.com/dgll/lnir.html]Cool site[/url]

Anonymous said...

Well done!
My homepage | Please visit

Anonymous said...

Good design!
http://oaeiifje.com/oexz/rydl.html | http://ltxhnuct.com/mvmz/hjzm.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...